In December 1955 the Chemical Plant no. 2 was established in Iaşi, being Romania’s and south-east Europe’s first manufacturer of penicillin – the active ingredient discovered by Alexander Fleming. The actual construction took place between 1953 and 1955. Four years later, the Streptomycin Plant was commissioned and the first pharmaceutical finished forms were obtained, namely ointments and suppositories. Afterwards, the Chemical Plant no.2 changes its name to Antibiotice (the Antibiotics Plant).